Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Repitition

Anyone with an autistic child knows that repetition is the name of the game. This isn't just a once in awhile luxury we have as parents, this is a constant moment by moment thing.

Justin is no exception to this.

Here's some examples; Justin started putting his fingers in his mouth randomly one day. It wasn't just a once in awhile thing, it was all the time.

So I would tell him over, and over to "Take your fingers out of your mouth Justin." Every time I saw him with them in his mouth.

It took a good 2-3 weeks to break this habit.

Another example; Justin started touching his private area. I once again told him, "Justin, don't touch your pee pee," over and over.

Once I started doing this, he knew it was something he wasn't supposed to be doing. Because I would catch him trying to hide and do it. Or, if he saw me looking at him he would stop.

Once again, after a few weeks of repetition he stopped.

I think this shows how repetition day in and day out, can help alter the negative behaviors that autistic children have.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 
M6GY-7BZE-2IUT-PLUF