About Me

My photo

In June of 2014 my family learned that my 4 year old son was autistic. This is a window into our world. What it's like day in, and day out for an autistic child.

Justin's Friends

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Repitition

Anyone with an autistic child knows that repetition is the name of the game. This isn't just a once in awhile luxury we have as parents, this is a constant moment by moment thing.

Justin is no exception to this.

Here's some examples; Justin started putting his fingers in his mouth randomly one day. It wasn't just a once in awhile thing, it was all the time.

So I would tell him over, and over to "Take your fingers out of your mouth Justin." Every time I saw him with them in his mouth.

It took a good 2-3 weeks to break this habit.

Another example; Justin started touching his private area. I once again told him, "Justin, don't touch your pee pee," over and over.

Once I started doing this, he knew it was something he wasn't supposed to be doing. Because I would catch him trying to hide and do it. Or, if he saw me looking at him he would stop.

Once again, after a few weeks of repetition he stopped.

I think this shows how repetition day in and day out, can help alter the negative behaviors that autistic children have.





Justin's Instagram